Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wedding Update Wednesday: Save the Dates

Although at 5 months til the big day it may seem a little late in the game to send save-the-dates I decided that I just couldn't pass up such a prime opportunity for some DIY fun. I needed something that I could execute fairly quickly but wanted to include some type of unique element as well. Here is what I came up with:



To add a special touch and play off the calendar design, I created little stickers intended for the recipient to mark their calendar with:

Want to make them yourself? Here is the how-to:

Supply list:
  •  Save the date template. The one I used can be found on The Wedding Chicks but there are dozens of other free templates you can download and use.
  • A digital image of you and your fiance - I used one of our engagement pics
  • Decorative stamps and ink
  • Letter and number stamps for the sticker
  • Round labels/stickers (I used Avery 5479)
  • Brads and a hole-punch for attaching the stickers to the card
  • Cornerer for creating rounded corners.
  • Card stock for printing and #10 envelopes
Simply personalize the template with your date and image (I also shifted some of the elements around using a design program and added hotel room block information) and print. You should be able to print a few per sheet and then cut them out. After cutting I dressed them up a bit by rounding the corners. Meanwhile I had cut up my labels, stamped them with a decorative stamp and then stamped our initials and date. I had a handy "library due-date" type stamp for this. Finally I punched a hole through the card and sticker and attached with a brad.

A few things you can do to simplify and still end up with a great save the date:
  • Skip the cornering
  • Have them professionally printed and/or cut
  • Use a template to print the info on the stickers rather than stamping
  • Attach the sticker with a paper clip instead of a brad
  • Don't send them to all guests - just the out of towners who may appreciate getting your hotel information sooner than later.
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment